Monday, February 20, 2012

How to Sew a Canvas Shopping Bag




I live in the busy city of Singapore without a car so I walk everywhere!! I make daily trips to my corner store for milk and cotton bags don't work for me. So I made my own canvas bags. It's easy to do, here's how!

Since I am making a canvas bag I will not be needing
a lining. If you were making a cotton fabric bag I would suggest a lining.

I made my own template from a shopping bag I already ha
d. It's real simple to do, just trace the bag on some paper and cut out the template.


Materials:
1: half yard of canvas fabric


1: Fold your fabric in half and place the template on top. Make sure you have your folded end on the left hand side of the fabric. Do this twice so you have two pieces of fabric.

2: Match up your fabrics right sides together. Pin in place.
Sew along the outer edge of the bag from sides and bottom but DO NOT SEW THE STRAPS OR THE CURVES.


OPTIONAL STEP:
BOX THE BOTTOM OF THE SHOPPING BAG.
This will make a flat bottom on the bag.
Turn the fabric inside out, take your ends and pull them out. With a ruler measure up
1 1/2". Draw a line and sew along that line. Cut the extra fabric.
3: Turn your bag right side out. Fold over the edges of the curves and sew all the way up the straps, folding over the edges as you go. BUT DO NOT SEW THE STRAPS TOGETHER YET. This will give your bag a clean look without any raw edges. 4: Now turn your bag inside out again and connect the straps. Hold in place with a pin if needed. Sew over the straps a couple times back locking as you go. This will make sure your straps are extra sturdy. Repeat for other side. Optional Step: If you want to get fancy you can go over the top stitches with a decorative zig zag stitch.

AND YOU'RE DONE!!!!!
Happy Green Shopping!

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment